Real Estate Investment and Finance is about understanding real estate investments and the financial value they give to a business. To achieve this understanding, you must learn about such financial statistics as net present values and internal rates of return, among others. The concepts behind capitalization, discounting, lifecycle costing, and value are equally vital. This course will provide you with the basic knowledge necessary to evaluate investment opportunities and to maximize the value of your current properties. To do this, you will learn the basics of investment mathematics.
You will need a financial calculator to apply what you learn. Therefore, as you study, the chapters will walk you through many calculations using the HP 10bII.* The last chapter of this coursebook contains a case study, with additional practical exercises, so that you can further apply what you have learned.
Upon successful completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Understand physical value and market value
- Determine a property’s economic value
- Finance investments and increase value
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of current tax laws, including capital gains and depreciation
Key topic areas:
asset valuation and enhancement • costs and taxes • capitalization • site and building analysis • the appraisal process • discounted cash flow measurement • ownership vehicles • the basics of lending and current lending practice
FMA® and RPA® designations
- All books will be printed and available on the first day of the course
- New students enrolling in the designation incur an additional $225 fee
- Current designation holders enrolling in a second designation program incur an additional $100 fee
- Students taking this course for CPD credit incur an additional charge of $100
Registration closes February 25th, 2020!
Any student registering after February 25th will incur a $50 fee.
For More Information:
Karen M. Stiansen, CPM®, CCIM, MCR, RPA, FMA, LEED AP
Vice President, Property Services
Karen has a Master of Science degree in Organizational Effectiveness from Marymount University. She recently joined Thalhimer in May 2017 as a Vice President, Property Services leading the Hampton Roads Market. Karen has 25 years of experience managing office, industrial, and retail properties as well as corporate real estate functions. Karen has been an active member for The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) serving on the Student/Academic Outreach advisory board and is a national instructor for BOMI International as well as an instructor for Apartment and Owner’s Management Association (AOBA) in Washington, DC. Her education and experience with her desire to provide the highest level of property management services help to add value to properties managed by Karen.
Awards and Activities
• Student Outreach and Academic Advisory Board, IREM, 2014-present
• National Instructor , BOMI International, 2011-present
• Instructor, AOBA, 2011 – present
• Instructor of the Month, BOMI International, October, 2014
• Instructor of the Month, BOMI International, March, 2015
• Marymount University, M.S. in Management of Organizational Effectiveness, 1995.
• Georgia State University, B.B.A. in Business Administration, 1984.
• Certified Property Manager (CPM) Designation
• Certified Commercial Investment Member (CCIM) Designation
• Master of Corporate Real Estate (MCR) Designation
• Real Property Administrator (RPA) Designation
• Facilities Management Administrator (FMA) Designation
• Green Building Certification Institute (LEED AP)