2020 TOBY Awards
The Outstanding Building of the Year Awards recognize the best of the best in the Washington DC Metropolitan region at the Commercial Awards Celebration.
The TOBY Committee is currently revitalizing the TOBY Awards. All applicants should plan to submit for the 2021 TOBY Awards beginning in June 2020 via online portal found at toby.boma.org.
The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY®) Awards is the most prestigious and comprehensive program of its kind in the commercial real estate industry recognizing quality in commercial buildings and rewarding excellence in building management. During the competition, all facets of a building's operations are thoroughly evaluated. Buildings are judged on everything from community involvement, tenant relations, and site management to environmental and "green" policies and procedures.
The competition consists of three levels and begins at the local AOBA level. Winning entries advance to the regional level and, finally, regional winners advance to the international level. AOBA has had two international winners. It is time to bring the international TOBY back to DC in 2021.
2012 International Winner
1625 Eye Street
2012 International Winner
1625 Eye Street
2016 International Winner:
700 Sixth Street
2016 International Winner:
700 Sixth Street
Please note that this may be subject to change.
July 2020: TOBY.BOMA.org opens online portal for applicants
October 2, 2020: Last day to submit for TOBY Awards
October 2020: Judging begins
February 2021: Commercial Awards Celebration
March 2021: Local winner updates application and submits for TOBY regional competition
April 2021: BOMA Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference and regional TOBY Awards
June 2021: BOMA Conference and international TOBY Awards
TOBY Award Categories
Review the 2019 TOBY packets for entry here.
- Under 100,000 sq ft
- 100,000 to 249,999 sq ft
- 250,000 to 499,999 sq ft
- 500,000 to 1 million sq ft
- Over 1 million sq ft
- Corporate Facility
- Historical Building
- Industrial Office Building
- MOB (Medical Office Building)
- Renovated Building
- Suburban Office Park Low Rise (1-5 stories)
- Suburban Office Park Mid-Rise (6-10 stories)
- Earth – environmentally friendly buildings
- Public Assembly (airports, hotels, stadiums, convention centers, museums…)
How to Enter a Building into the TOBY Awards Competition:
- Read the current cycle's Call For Entries Requirement Packet to learn more about your building's eligibility for each category. Once you have decided that you are eligible and would like to enter the upcoming TOBY Awards competition, please email Brandy Peak to let us know you are submitting.
- Register your building and begin building content for your building submission, based on the information found in the Call For Entries packet. You may begin entering your data into the online portal, which can be found at http://toby.boma.org. *Not available for submittals for next award cycle until June 2020
- When you are satisfied with your entry and you are ready to submit, click on the "submit" button in the portal. Please note: once you hit the "submit" button, your entry is final and you will not be able to go back and make updates. Note: Once local competition concludes at the Commercial Awards Celebration, your application will be released by BOMA International for your review and updating should you move onto the Regional TOBY Competition.
- Please let AOBA know that you have submitted your entry and you will be charged a $250 entry fee by AOBA n to enter your building into the competition.
After you have submitted your building information online and paid the entry fee for the competition, judges will begin reviewing your entry online. AOBA judging groups are also required to tour your buildings. In order to prepare for your building tour, please take a look at the Building Inspection Form that TOBY Judges will be using to evaluate your property.
When judging is complete, AOBA will be alerted who the Building Winners are for each category. All TOBY Award winners are kept a secret until the night of the Awards Celebration.
2020 TOBY Committee Members: Kathryn Clement JBG Smith (2019 Chair), Simon Bustow -- Boston Properties, Katrina James -- Brookfield, Diane Peters -- JLL, Glenn Hugo -- MRP Realty, Pam Anderson -- Freddie Mac, Lynda Ellis -- Capitol Concierge, Brad Braun -- Transwestern, April Mandell -- Akridge, Lesley Morrison -- JBG Commercial, Trisha Graefe -- Bernstein Management Corp., Elena Paquette -- Brookfield, & Casie Cutlip -- Brookfield.
What's TOBY All About?
TOBY: What's In It For Me?
· It feels great to win! Going up on stage with your team in front
· The Grand local winning team gets a prize in addition to their building trophy! This is for the building that has the highest score among all categories.
· It is an opportunity to distinguish yourself among your peers within your organization and in the industry. A TOBY award is
· Gets you out of your office and reminds you about how rewarding and exciting commercial management can be.
· Your team bonds through the process, leading to working more efficiently and effectively together.
· Gain an in-depth understanding of your building. Teams can incorporate comments from the judges to help improve the
· Different team members can gain an understanding of different skill sets, e.g. the engineers can see what PMs are thinking about day to day.
· Regional process: written description of building systems becomes a reference point for a variety of uses.
· For properties that are not BOMA 360 certified, TOBY-award winning buildings have an opportunity to receive the certification
· Enhances leasing/marketing of the property. Tenants want to be in a building that is well-managed and feel like they are getting value for their operating expense pro rata share.
· It effectively becomes an audit of your property’s management services. Judged by a
· The TOBY process is an opportunity to give
· Teams can incorporate comments from the judges to help improve the building and operations.
· Regional process: written description of
· Enhances your marketing package for third-party management and building owner transitions. It is an opportunity to distinguish your company among others.
· Teams can incorporate comments from
· Competition and recognition can be contagious – other teams will be motivated to achieve the award and standards rise throughout your company’s portfolio.
· It effectively becomes an audit of your company’s management services and an opportunity to find improvements.
Which Aspects of a Building Are Evaluated?
Properties will be evaluated after submitting an application along with an entrance fee of $250.00 (per property address) prior to the on-site inspection in May 2019. All facets of a building's operations are thoroughly evaluated during the on-site building inspection and on-line portfolio judging. The visiting judges, a select group of senior property management professionals, will consider the following areas for judging purposes: Physical aspects include: Entrances/Main Lobby, elevators, multi-tenant corridors, restrooms, stairwells, typical tenant suite, roof, parking facilities (if owner/agent operated), landscape/grounds, refuse removal area and tenant amenities.
Other equally weighted aspects include areas as tenant relations programs, community involvement, emergency evacuation procedures, security issues, sustainability programs, preventive maintenance schedules, management policy and procedures manuals including accounting procedures and expense controls, staffing training; continuing education for building personnel.
What Types of Documents Are Submitted for Review?
Floor plans and photographs complete the regional portfolio, fulfilling an in-depth review of each TOBY entry. Each entry showcases outstanding property teams throughout the Washington area.
May I compete in TOBY consecutive years?
If a building is competing in the same category in which they have already won, they may not compete again until after 5 years. If a building is competing in a different category in which they have won, they may not compete again until after 3 years. (i.e. Same category winners from 2018, may not compete until the 2024 TOBY cycle; building competing who’ve won in 2018 and wish to compete in a different category may not compete until the 2022 TOBY cycle.)The designated "Winner" attained a score of 75% or higher.
Congratulations to the previous TOBY Winners!
2018 Washington Metro Local TOBY Award Recipients
Fairview Park, managed by CBRE, Inc.
One Metro Center, managed by Lincoln Property Company
(100,000 – 249,999 Sq Ft Building) 1800 K Street, NW, managed by Transwestern - Local Winner
(250,000 – 499,999 Sq Ft Building Category) *Wisconsin Place, managed by Boston Properties - Grand Local Winner
2017 Washington Metro Local TOBY Award Recipients
100,000 – 249,999 Square Foot Building: Center for Strategic & International Studies, managed by CBRE
250,000 – 499,999 Square Foot Building: Crystal Gateway North, managed by Vornado/Charles E. Smith
GRAND LOCAL REGIONAL TOBY Winner: Over 1 Million Square Feet - U.S. Department of Transportation - managed by JBG SMITH
Renovated Building: Silverline Center, managed by Washington REIT
Historical Building: 1101 17th Street, managed by JBG SMITH
2016 Washington Metro Local Award Category Winners:
Grand Local Winner: Suburban Office Park, Low-Rise: Atlantic Corporate Park – managed by First Potomac Realty Trust, LP
(100,000 – 249,999 Sq Ft Building) 1750 H Street – managed by First Potomac Realty Trust, LP
(250,000 – 499,999 Sq FT Building) 800 17th Street – managed by JLL
Renovated Building: Bethesda Crossing – managed by MRP Realty
Watch the TOBY video to learn more. For TOBY application information, p