This is a virtual-live-instructor-led course occurring every Friday from 9:00am - 4:00pm EST beginning on May 7th and running through June 4th.
What is Foundations?
- A soup-to-nuts, 6-module, 30-hour, entry-level course, covering the fundamentals of commercial real estate administration, management, building systems, accounting and reporting, contract management and more.
- Classroom instruction from seasoned professionals, reinforced by behind-the-scenes tours of outstanding buildings.
- Live, in-person training with small class sizes to facilitate learning, discussion and team activities.
- A complete package—instruction, peer networking, property tours and a comprehensive course manual that is easy to read and a valuable resource back on the job.
For All Experience Levels, Foundations...
- Reinforces on-the-job training for junior and assistant property managers.
- Provides “feet on the ground” experience and exposure for administrative assistants and students considering a career in commercial real estate.
- Offers a great refresher for experienced professionals—fills training gaps and provides important management and operations updates.
- Supports suppliers and building engineers who benefit from understanding the basics of real estate management.
Foundations—The Right Choice for Your Real Estate Team...
- Eases the training burden by supplementing on-the-job and corporate training programs.
- Offers the highest caliber training, covering everything from A to Z.
- Prepares new and rising talent for more PM responsibilities and assignments.
- Teaches employees best practices from experienced, seasoned professionals.
- Delivers a curriculum that is regularly updated, ensuring the latest, most accurate information.
- Minimizes time out of the office with convenient scheduling over several days or weeks.
- Module 1: Real Estate Administration
- Roles and responsibilities of a property manager
- Adding value to a real estate investment
- Strategies for tenant satisfaction
- Contracting with vendors and suppliers and managing supplier agreements
- Property characteristics and leasing and marketing strategies
- Managing risk and understanding commercial insurance coverages
- Property Tour: The property management office
- Module 2: The Well-Versed Real Estate Manager
- Developing effective emergency and disaster preparedness plans and programs
- Managing tenant improvements and capital projects
- Budgeting, accounting, and business plan development
- Models for recovering base rents and operating expenses
- Due diligence process for buying and selling real estate
- Understanding OSHA safety requirements
- Understanding indoor air quality issues and EPA recommendations and requirement
- Property Tour: Engineering office and non-office occupancies
- Module 3: Building Operations I
- How HVAC and plumbing systems work
- How electricity flows through a building and the various levels of power
- Work order systems and best practices for managing services calls
- Property Tour: HVAC, domestic water, fire alarm, fire sprinkler, main electric room
- Module 4: Building Operations II
- Types and operations of fire alarm and sprinkler systems
- Reactive vs. preventive vs. predictive maintenance of building facilities and systems
- Elevator and escalator systems and operations
- Roofing systems
- Managing solid waste and recycling
- Managing cleaning services and contracts
- Property Tour: Elevators/escalators, roof systems, solid waste/recycling, janitorial inspection
- Module 5: Putting It All Together
- Successful approaches to pest management
- Types of parking structures and parking management
- Assuring secure and safe buildings
- Understanding and managing landscaping tasks and snow removal
- Learn about BOMA and meet BOMA leaders
- Learning assessment group exercise
- Property Tour: Parking, security, pest control, landscaping
For More Information:
CPM, RPA, BOMA Fellow
LEED Green Associate
NC Real Estate Broker
Becky is principal of Hanner Commercial Asset Services, a firm that provides Asset Management, strategic planning and training. She is a recognized thought leader known for growing businesses while positively cultivating internal and external relationships. She drives strategy and new business development through her vast network of contacts and ability to keep a pulse on industry trends. A skilled mentor, Becky develops a strong work culture focused on high expectations, collaboration, and quality service delivery, and achieving process improvements through employee engagement. She has an excellent reputation throughout industry, locally and nationally.
Becky has been in commercial real estate for 30 years. Most recently she left Cushman & Wakefield after developing a property portfolio approaching 14 million square feet. Her highly functioning team was recognized as the #1 property management team for 5 years (per Triangle Business Journal) and Best Places to Work for 3 years.
- BOMA Fellow, class of 2014
- LEED Green Associate, US Green Building Council 2014
- Development of Industrial Experience Exchange Report 2013-2014
- Secretary-Treasurer, BOMA International 2011-2013
- Executive Committee, BOMA International 2007-2009
- Chair, BOMA Floor Measurement Education Committee 2016-2018
- Chair, BOMA Floor Measurement Standards Committee 2010-2017
- Development of full suite of floor measurement standards
- President, BOMA Southern Region / BOMA Raleigh-Durham 2009-2010
- Real Property Administrator Building Owners and Managers Institute 2008
- Certified Property Manager Institute of Real Estate Management 1991
- NC Brokers License 1985