AOBA Celebrates 2023 Commercial Awards Winners; K.E.E.P., Engineer of the Year and TOBY
The Apartment and Office Building Association of Metropolitan Washington (AOBA) congratulates the distinguished winners of the 2023 Commercial Awards, including K.E.E.P. (Knowledge and Excellence in Emergency Preparedness), Engineer of the Year, and TOBY (The Outstanding Building of the Year). The winners were honored at an industry dinner at 4550 Montgomery Towers. Nearly 250 commercial property management professionals attended the event.
The evening kicked off with honoring the 2023 K.E.E.P. Award winners. Developed in 2016 by AOBA's Emergency Preparedness Committee, the K.E.E.P. Awards program is designed to encourage AOBA-member commercial property management teams to have effective emergency preparedness plans in place and to recognize excellence in this critical arena.
The 2023 K.E.E.P. Award Winners are:
- 955 L'Enfant Plaza managed by JBG SMITH
- 655 New York Avenue managed by Brookfield Properties
- 1900 N Street NW managed by JBG SMITH
The evening also featured the presentation of the 2023 Engineer of the Year winners. Since 2014, the Engineer of the Year Award program has recognized the outstanding work of those behind our commercial office buildings' success – the engineers. Their work not only adds to the efficient operation but also impacts guest experience as the demand for expertise in building physics and systems for new and existing buildings constantly increases.
The 2023 Engineer of the Year Winners are:
- Maintenance Member of the Year: Jose Vargas, Brookfield Properties
- Building Engineer of the Year: Marco Susanivar, MRP Realty | Honorable Mention: Jeffrey Romero, Monday Properties
- Chief Engineer of the Year: Harvey Martinez, Oxford Properties |Honorable Mention: Bill Andes, Piedmont Office Realty Trust
The program concluded with one of the most anticipated announcements of the night – the 2023 TOBY Awards winners. The TOBY Awards are the commercial real estate’s most prestigious award program honoring excellence in building management, operational efficiency, and community impact. Established by BOMA International, the annual TOBY Awards process includes a rigorous review - via an on-site inspection tour of all facets of the building’s operation and management. The local winners will move on to the regional competition.
The 2023 TOBY Awards Winners are:
- Earth Category: Victor Building, 750 9th Street, managed by Brookfield Properties
- 250,000 - 499,999 sq. ft: 1101 K Street, managed by Lincoln Property Company
- 500,000 - 1 Million sq. ft: District Center, 555 12th Street NW, managed by JLL
- Grand TOBY: District Center, 555 12th Street NW, managed by JLL
Congratulations again to all the winners! View the photos here.