This page was developed by members of AOBA's Emergency Preparedness Committee, who work on educational and preparedness programs. Watch for our annual seminar during National Preparedness Month in September.
Sources of Local Emergency Preparedness Information
- Metropolitan Police Department Twitter
- DC Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency Twitter
- MD Emergency Preparedness Info
- VA Emergency Preparedness Info
- Free sign up for local government alerts
Lessons Learned: Information from AOBA Educational Programs
- Lessons Learned: Baltimore's Civil Disturbance in 2015
- Lessons Learned: Business Continuity Planning and Recovery
- Slides from Panelists at Sept. 18, 2014 Seminar
- Lessons Learned: The Boston Marathon Bombings
- A report for commercial real estate professionals
- Lessons Learned: Report on Security Operations During Major Events
- Designed for commercial building managers, this Report outlines success factors and lessons learned in preparing for a major city event
Resources for Property Managers
- Hurricane Preparedness
- FEMA prepared this presentation that members may find useful in preparing for a major storm.
- BOMA Article on Active Shooter
- Helpful article published by BOMA International
- Emergency Preparedness for Multifamily Managers
- NAA's emergency and disaster "library" links to useful resources.
Shelter in Place Resources
Depending on the emergency, the best method for protection may be to evaluate the situation and shelter in place while the hazard is being reduced. Below are some resources to assist in developing or improving your building's shelter in place program.
- American Red Cross Fact Sheet on Shelter in Place
- Redefining Readiness Report: “With the Public’s Knowledge, We Can Make Shelter in Place Possible”
- Department of Labor- OSHA e-Tool on Shelter in Place
For further information please contact Brewster Thackeray at 202/296-3390 x 241.